CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 17, 2009

WHEN HUNGRY, T'IS GOOD TO EAT

Just picture a great big steak,
fried, roasted or stewed.
Oh, food,
Wonderful food,
Marvellous food,
Glorious food.
- Oliver!
That aside, You haven't eaten well untill you've eaten a meal that you made from your own sweat and blood (though I can't quite remember bleeding). Still, last Saturday was spent trying to eat. There we were minding our own business, planning to go out and eat when one of those neighbours who only live inside your TV showed up with a meal; Pasta sauce. His instructions were simple; Warm it.

As I mentally called dibs on the bigger plate, my host calmly informed me that the house was void of cookers or warmers of any sort. We had nothing to cook the spaghetti on and no way to warm the sauce. Bugger! He however quickly reassured me that the building next door had a surround- sound see smell kitchen. So we braced ourselves for the cold, carried our sauce and spaghetti and headed out to find a cooker or try dieing.

On arrival, it was clear things weren't about to get better. No one was home. The only silver lining in the whole business was a tiny puppy called Pombe who'd been locked in but was still content to wag himself from behind the glass door and generally make me wish I could carry him. After Pombe found more interesting things to do than make eyes at us, he went into hiding.

After that, the idea of a trip into town, didn't have the same appeal as before, considering I'd beeen making eyes at the sauce since it and I first met. But there didn't seem to be any other option. But I didn't want to move!!! Sensing my distress, G. I Jane (my alter ego) snapped into action. She made her way back into the kitchen, this time on assignment: Find cooking impliment or die trying. It worked. She , I mean, I found a kerosene stove covered in dust but full of Kerosene. To all the environmentalists out there, I know I was bad, but I was hungry.

Inspite of my renewed faith in God, providence and other mystical things that just are, I wondered what sadistic streak had made Host make us walk out into the uncertain rain, mud and cold.

me: Hey, why didn't we just use the stove?
Host: Stove, what stove? We don't have a stove.
me (pointing): This one right here.
Host: That's a stove(In genuine disbelief)? I thought it was a lantern!

LOL

Later, after the perceived mode of operation had been explained, I could understand how a mistake could have been made. It didn't stop me from laughing at Host though. So finally, we made pasta, ate pasta, digested pasta and couldn't move for pasta. Something about everything we'd been through to eat pasta made that meal the most delicious thing I'd eaten all year. I couldn't remember anything tasting so good!

16 comments:

Sleek said...

A lantern? is HOST in the lantern meet of poets?

Esme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elle B said...

@ Sleek
Not quite. But in Host's favour, it could have passed for a lantern. kinda.

King said...

You know, I can identify with Host. Cooking IS rocket science, I swear.

There's a reason rolex and kikomando guys are in business.

Unknown said...

lol!
:-)
seems like a lantern is lighting one of your lamp.

normzo™ said...

cooking, thats a hard one...

this host!!??,hope the pasta didnt have any smell of kerozene, or u where to hungry to notice that.

Anonymous said...

Lantern lol or maybe you were too hungry you just decided to use a lantern

Elle B said...

@ king
Lol. You forgot ekikommando

@Spartakuss
My mind's shying away from all possible meanings of that statement.

@ Normzo
Strangely enough, it had only its rightful smells (and tastes), thank God!

Elle B said...

@ Be silent
Please luv, cut a sister some slack, surely, I can tell a lantern from a stove.

Sleek said...

Be silent is onto something there

Abid said...

so you call your alter ego GI Jane!! though how does one mistake a stove for a lantern? that needs clarification. And as the most of the bloggers who have commented will attest, i have bugged them with offers to write for free(yes, you read right) in an ezine called Workzine. informal style. BTW Sleek and Normo, am still waiting(abidiew@gmail.com)

Rhino said...

it's lunchtime, I can smell delicious food cooking elsewhere. I'm reading this and salivating! Pass the pasta!

Elle B said...

@Sleek
No, I couldn't have. This one was one of them green ones with a kerosene dish at the bottom and many removable parts at the top.

@Abid
Thanks for passing by. I'd love to write free lance. Expect an email ASAP.

@Rhino
lemme see if I can hook a brother up with some pictures.

Abid said...

i found it weird reading the same story from two different perspectives. it was interesting. Rhino , where is the food ?

lulu said...

lol, i know the feeling...but a lantern? lord!

Abid said...

Still waiting